Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT DOES IT COST TO JOIN?
Individual memberships cost £15 for 12 months. Club membership costs £50 for 12 months. You can sign up here.
What does individual membership include?
Individual membership includes member to member liability insurance, inclusion on the UKBJJA belt register, and inclusion in the UKBJJA rankings with the opportunity for sponsorship, discounts and other rewards. You also get discounted access to competitions, referee courses, first aid courses, DBS checks and more.
It is important to note that the insurance cover provided by the Association is member to member liability insurance only. This protects you in the event that you injure somebody in training and they decide to take action against you. It does not provide personal injury cover.
Is there a different rate for instructors and students?
No, everyone pays the same individual membership fee.
Who do I contact if I have a question or problem?
what does club membership include?
All member clubs are covered for public and products liability up to £5m with insurance provided by Towergate. Their students are then able to sign up as individual members to receive their member to member liability insurance.
Instructor’s insurance (which includes professional indemnity, employer’s liability and abuse cover) is available from Towergate at a discounted rate for UKBJJA members.
Clubs also receive an A3 laminated certificate.
I run a large club, will it cost more?
No, the membership fee is set at one level for all clubs. The club contribution helps to cover the Association’s administration costs. Remember that it is a non-profit organisation, any surplus funds will be invested back into the development of the sport.
How do I GET instructor's insurance?
Instructor’s insurance includes professional indemnity and abuse cover. It is not included with club membership, but is strongly recommended for all instructors. Towergate offers a large discount for UKBJJA members. To get a quote, CLICK HERE.
What are the requirements for club membership?
- All instructors must be purple belt or higher, from a verifiable lineage
- DBS checks for instructors where relevant
- First aid training for instructors
- Member to member insurance for all students
- Instructor insurance and club insurance
- Child protection policy in place
- Sensible policy on adult and child integration during training
- Agree to abide by the policies and objectives of the UKBJJA
- 40mm minimum for mats with minimal gaps
- No sharp edges or corners in matted area
- Cleaning policy in place for dojo area
- Clear rules for students to remove jewellery before training
- Zero tolerance for skin infections and policy for advice on treatment
- Minimum areas per pair in sparring
- Supervision and training for use of weights/fitness equipment if applicable
- First aid kit
- Accident report book
- Fire exits to British standards
Full copies of UKBJJA policies are available on request from email@example.com
ask us a question!